[Glass] GemTools being run with default gem.conf instead of mine....

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jan 10 08:25:56 PST 2014

On Jan 10, 2014, at 7:49 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> btw...related question...how can I get the value of a variable from the gem/stone? Say I connect with topaz and I want to see the value it is being use for GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE ?

See the System Admin Guide section 2.4 “How to Access the Configuration at Run Time”. This directs you to the methods in the ‘Configuration File Access’ category in System class. E.g.,
	System gemConfigurationAt: #'GemTempObjCacheSize'.

> thanks!
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the scripts of Norbert to create other stones, I faced another problem. I am now able to connect to it either from topaz or from GemTools. I am running a netldi per stone.
>
> Problem is that when I run GemTools and I connect to my stone, GemTool thinks I am using /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data/system.conf .... which is NOT the case. Of course,  echo $GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF   prints
>
> /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data
>
> but my  stone was started correctly:
>
>  _____________________________________________________________________________
> |                             Configuration Files                             |
> |                                                                             |
> | System File: /Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/system.conf              |
> |                                                                             |
> | Executable File: /Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/gem.conf
>

> and also
>
> startstone[Info]: GemStone version '3.1.0.5'
> startstone[Info]: Starting Stone repository monitor 'LucidiaLLC'.
> startstone[Info]: GEMSTONE is: '/opt/gemstone/product'.
> startstone[Info]:
>     GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF=/Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/system.conf
>     GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF=/Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/gem.conf

> so.....why GemTools is using the default one? I guess it simply takes the value of the variable  $GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF?  If this is the case, then it means I need to use same system.conf for GemTools for all my stones??? Is this correct?

The System Admin Guide, Appendix A, discusses GemStone Configuration Options and describes how the system finds the appropriate config file. Remember that the Gem is started by the NetLDI, so inherits the environment variables from that process. What was the value of these environment variables when you started the NetLDI?

What do you get from the following:
	System gemEnvironmentVariable: ‘GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF’.
	System performOnServer: ‘echo $GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF’.

> Thanks!

James