[Glass] GemTools being run with default gem.conf instead of mine....

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 09:59:18 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM, James Foster <
james.foster at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 7:49 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> btw...related question...how can I get the value of a variable from the
> gem/stone? Say I connect with topaz and I want to see the value it is being
> use for GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE ?
>

> See the System Admin Guide section 2.4 “How to Access the Configuration at
> Run Time”. This directs you to the methods in the ‘Configuration File
> Access’ category in System class. E.g.,
> System gemConfigurationAt: #'GemTempObjCacheSize'.

Awesome!!! Thanks James.
Ok, one more chapter to read :)

> thanks!
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following the scripts of Norbert to create other stones, I faced another
>> problem. I am now able to connect to it either from topaz or from GemTools.
>> I am running a netldi per stone.
>>
>> Problem is that when I run GemTools and I connect to my stone, GemTool
>> thinks I am using /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data/system.conf .... which
>> is NOT the case. Of course,  echo $GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF   prints
>>
>> /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data
>>
>> but my  stone was started correctly:
>>

>>  _____________________________________________________________________________
>> |                             Configuration Files

>> | System File: /Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/system.conf              |

>> | Executable File: /Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/gem.conf
>>

>> and also
>>
>> startstone[Info]: GemStone version '3.1.0.5'
>> startstone[Info]: Starting Stone repository monitor 'LucidiaLLC'.
>> startstone[Info]: GEMSTONE is: '/opt/gemstone/product'.
>> startstone[Info]:
>>     GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF=/Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/system.conf
>>     GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF=/Sites/XXX/gemstone/etc/gem.conf

>> so.....why GemTools is using the default one? I guess it simply takes the
>> value of the variable  $GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF?  If this is the case, then it
>> means I need to use same system.conf for GemTools for all my stones??? Is
>> this correct?
>>

> The System Admin Guide, Appendix A, discusses GemStone Configuration
> Options and describes how the system finds the appropriate config file.
> Remember that the Gem is started by the NetLDI, so inherits the environment
> variables from that process.

That sentence was key and helped me to find the problem. There was a bug in
the scripts that was using which cases netldi to be started as root and
then that causes some problem. I am now starting netldi with the correct
user, and when I log from GemTools, I see the correct values so it is
getting the correct conf files.

Thanks for the help!!!