[Glass] Does Gemstone transform integration testing into unit testing?

Lyn Headley laheadle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:30:01 PST 2014

Hi James,

You make a good point about global system state. Any time a test is
creating or modifying such state it can bleed into other parts of the
system and cause problems for subsequent tests.

Still, I am struck by how much more likely such "bleeding" is in systems
based on traditional databases. At least in a Gemstone system it is easy to
create temporary versions of many of the core classes in an application. In
a traditional application, where your logic is wedded to database
operations, this process is harder to do on a temporary basis. If just
creating a business object means adding a row to a table, then I have to
make sure to delete that row after my test (or use a special "test
database"). In gemstone, however, this is simply creating an object, which
is eventually garbage collected.

Lyn