[Glass] Problem assigning to temp vars from Seaside callbacks?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 07:26:54 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Johan Brichau <johan at yesplan.be> wrote:

> Hey Mariano,
>
> If you want to transfer values between callbacks (closures) in Seaside on
> Gemstone, you need to put the value in a valueholder object instead of
> assigning to method temporaries. Otherwise, you experience exactly what you
> see. That means, for example:
>
> | valueholder|
> valueholder := ValueHolder new.
>
> html jQuery ajax
>         callback: [:v | valueholder value: v];
>         script: [:s | self doSomethingWith: valueholder value]
>
> You can use anything you like as a valueholder: Association, Array, Set,
> ... whatever. As long as you are not directly assigning to the temporary
> var.
> There is also code demonstrating this in the JQueryUI Autocomplete code of
> Seaside (gemstone version) [2].
>
> I referred to that issue in this mail [1] but it was a bit condensed I
> guess.

Thanks Johan!!!! That was exactly the problem and using a ValueHolder
solved the problem.
I didn't remember directly you comment in [1] but somewhere deep in my
brain was it because I knew it was related to callbacks and temps ;)

BTW..... do you know if there is a slime rule or something to check this? I
am sure I have many other places like this...