[Glass] Grease and Seaside31

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 01:22:23 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Dale Henrichs
<dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
> I am starting to get busy characterizing and fixing Seaside3.1.1 issue
> #21[1].

Producing a byte array is "the right thing to do ™". That Seaside
currently expects is an unfortunate Squeak-ism that slipped into the
design. I believe this has already popped up once (maybe for VW) but I
can't remember what came out of this.

There are a couple of things to consider:

 * Most strings that we render are HTML safe ASCII. The fastest way to
render these is to do a quick test (we use CharacterSet on Pharo) and
then copy them directly into the response buffer. You can make you own
subclass of WAResponse to facilitate this.
 * All UTF-8 related tests should be in a custom packages.
 * URL rendering is also affected since we need to convert convert it
to a byte array before escaping it and sending it through the HTML
pipeline (and encoding it a second time)

Cheers
Philippe