[Glass] Free Gems

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 05:18:11 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Dario Trussardi <dario.trussardi at tiscali.it>
wrote:

> Ciao,
>
>         i have my Seaside application ported to GLASS 3.1.0.4  which
> manage some TCP/IP tickets printers devices.
>
>         Now when one session send data to one specific printer device, for
> don't lose data
>
>                  i need to insert: ( Delay forMilliseconds: 6000) wait.]
>  every ten tickets.
>
>         In this mode the printer device maintain the buffer ready to
> receive new data.
>
>         Now if i have three printer device which printing many tickets at
> the same time,
>
>         my three Gems is occupied to manage it.
>
>         In this situation any other web request is not management, and the
> system is seeming blocked,
>
>                  until the printer end the printing.
>
>         It's my considerations right !?
>
>         I can add more gems to my GLASS environment ( i use
> WAFastCGIAdaptor  gem )?

Yes you can. In 3.1.0.4 there is NO limit in the number of gems regarding
the license. Note that this has changed in 3.2 (you have up to 20 free).

>         What, add gems to the system, implies ?

In a general point of view, I see it like simply having more Smalltalk VMs
processing the bytecodes of my app :)
Now...if you app happens to be a web app, those "bytecode processing" may
be "listening and processing requests". So more gems, more Smalltalk VMs
being able to listen and process requests. So yes, I think it will help you
your case, even if I could be a workaround.

Best,

        Thanks for any considerations,