[Glass] large blobs

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Jun 16 13:57:04 PDT 2014

On 16.06.2014, at 22:46, John McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> I'm collecting thoughts on using gemstone to store large chunks of data (say JPGS).  Say 8 to 16MB in size. I have another case of blob data maybe upwards of 200MB but I'd store that in chunks just to enable better restart capabilities when pushing/pulling to a mobile device as that would need to restart a previously aborted transmission.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

For SqueakSource3, currently all mcz files are stored in the stone (for whatever reason).
The only thing to look out for I encountered was to avoid constant 'kind-change',
like repeated #asString -> #asByteArray. We had that and this costs memory and time.
  Apart from that I cannot remember problem regarding the mcz's size. However, the biggest
did not exceed 8MB or so.

Best
	-Tobias