[Glass] out of resources

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Thu May 8 07:38:21 PDT 2014

Hi,

With GS 3.1 we're running out of semaphores and shared memory because
the system resources are not freed up.

When we run ipcs, we get lists of shared memory segments (about 1GB
each) that report no attached processes. When we use ipcrm -m <id>,
the memory is free.

ipcs -s shows a long list of semaphore arrays. When using ipcs -s -i
<array id>, we see that the referenced processes are dead.

This happens on our jenkins machines where we start & stop GS a lot.
(Jobs running tests restore from a built GS backup.) We think we are
using stopstone properly (with waitstone to make sure it is stopped,
etc.). We need to investigate properly and make sure the jenkins jobs
do this in the way we are expecting.

I was hoping someone can give us some ideas on this. Perhaps there's a
GS flag or a OS setup that we're missing. Your insights are
appreciated.

Thanks
Otto