[Glass] out of resources

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu May 8 08:07:19 PDT 2014

Otto,

The way that we use shared memory resources, we have things setup so that
the resources are deallocated when the last process detaches from the
cache.

So I would look around the system for rogue stoned, topaz or gem processes
that may be hung/refusing to quit ... if you find some hanging around note
their process ids and track down their log file...there should be
information there as to why they are hung ...

Another thing is if you 'kill -9' the shrpc monitor process, the shared
memory segment will not be told to clean up when the last process detaches
and the shared memore/semaphores will be left around.

While not recommended, it is "safe" to kill -9 the stoned process as a last
resort, you will lose any transactions that are in progress and will need
to restore from tranlogs on restart, but kill -9 on stoned should not
corrupt the db  ... the shrpc monitor process is really the only process
that it is not "safe" to use kill -9 on but even then the db will not be
corrupted, like killing the stone, you will lose any transactions in
progress AND you will leave shared memory resources around to be cleaned up
manually ...

Dale