[Glass] Awfully slow GRUtf8CodecStream

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 15 09:39:02 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I am rendering a html table of 100rows and 20 columns using Seaside. In
Pharo, the "render" request of Seaside takes approx. 200ms. In Gemstone,
same request takes more than 2 seconds....
I have run a profiler and it looks the very very slow part is the
#nextPutAll: of GRUtf8CodecStream, And more precisely, the Utf8 >> asString
that ends up calling #changeClassTo:, which is the guy taking most of the
time (60%!!!!!).

Using a GRNullCodec decreases at least to 1 second. It is still far from
the 200ms from Pharo, but it is better. GRLatin1GemStoneCodec does not even
work.

Another reason of the slowness in gemstone is that I don't have native code
enabled in the seaside gems. I would like to do so, but then I cannot
remote debug anymore.

I am using Gemstone 3.1.0.6 and Seaside 3.1.3.

Is there any workaround or hack I can do to improve performance a bit?

thanks,