[Glass] Awfully slow GRUtf8CodecStream

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 15 14:23:23 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <
> glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>

>> Another reason of the slowness in gemstone is that I don't have native
>> code enabled in the seaside gems. I would like to do so, but then I cannot
>> remote debug anymore.
>>

> Mariano,
>
> With the 3.1.0.6 and 3.2.2 (the two versions that I've tested with), you
> CAN do remote debugging without diabling native code ...

mmmmmmm if I understand this correct...then this is huge good news (in
3.1.0.5 I was never ever able to do that).

> I know the  startSeaside30_Adaptor script has some code that doesn't
> enable the Breakpoint exception unless native code is enabled, but that is
> no longer correct (and it looks like I won't be able to fix that before
> 3.2.3 gets released either as the release is imminent)...

OK. I use my own "form" of startSeaside30_Adaptor so I have no problem to
change myself my script. The part you seem to refer is this?

*GsProcess usingNativeCode not*
  ifTrue: [
    "Enable remote Breakpoing handling"
    Breakpoint trappable: true.
    GemToGemAnnouncement installStaticHandler.
    System commitTransaction ifFalse: [ nil error: 'Could not commit for
GemToGemSignaling' ].
  ].

If I understand you correct, what you say is that from 3.1.0.6 and beyond I
should remove the "GsProcess usingNativeCode not"  IF ?

> There are still some issues in 3.2.2 (and earlier) with proceeding from
> remote Breakpoints,

Ok, that is asking too much ;) I am ok with at least be able to debug and
not be able to proceed :)

> but the error handling and other facilities work quite fine with Native
> code enabled .. the vms have been updated so that native code is
> automatically disabled when a breakpoint is hit, but new processes will be
> created in native mode ...

mmmm do you recall when that was changed? I ask because I checked the
release notes of 3.1.0.6 for this exact issue:
http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.1.x/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.1.0.6.pdf

and I found no mention at all about this... and with 3.1.0.5 it never
worked for me....so....the VM were updated even before 3.1.0.6 and the
reason it didn't work for me was because of the above IF? or the changes to
the VM were forgotten in 3.1.0.6 release notes?

Thanks for any clarification!