[Glass] [ANN] GsUpgrader

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Sep 22 12:22:49 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Jon Paynter <kittle31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dale,
> Im at the office right now with a fresh VM.  No dev work was done, so I
> removed /opt/gemstone to start over.
>
> Here are the steps I took
>
> 1)  ./installGemstone.sh 3.1.0.6
>    note - since outbound FTP is blocked, I manually transferred the zip
> file to my VM.
> 2) startnet / startGemstone
> 3) load GsUpgrader
> 4) run #upgradeGLASS1
>
> .... which worked.
> Except when I connect with my pharo dev image, there are no Seaside
> classes loaded -- WAComponent does not exist.
> So im puzzled as to what actually got "upgraded"

GsUpgrader does not install or upgrade Seaside ... GsUpgrade upgrades
GLASS/GLASS1, Grease and Metacello ...

A virgin 3.1.0.6 (extent0.seaside.dbf) does not have the latest Grease,
Metacello or GLASS1 installed so GsUpgrade, upgrades those packages ...
Once you've done the upgrade, the install of Seaside should run smoothly ...

> Note - the previous version was using gemstone 3.2.2...which may be where
> my previous problems were coming from.

I am running tests of GsUpgrader against virgin installs from 2.4.4.1, to
3.2.2 and many of the version in between[1] and they are all passing ...

I believe that one set of problems come from attempting to use GsUpgrader
in images that have already had some combination of Metacello/GLASS1/Grease
installed ... I would like to be able to characterize those types of
problems so that I can bullet-proof the GsUpgrader script ... the offset
error that you reported this morning helps me to bullet-proof GsUpgrader[2]

Another set of problems is very likely due to the out-of-memory problem
reported by Johan ... in fact once I reproduce Johan's problem in my lab, I
might start to see the other problems as well ...

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader/builds/35778252
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader/issues/6