[Glass] Warning: GsDevKitHome scripts for building pharo images are currently broken ...

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Apr 8 12:48:27 PDT 2015

On 04/08/2015 10:02 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:
> It does make sense if you want to keep supporting older versions.
> So, the question ultimately boils down to wether you want to still build using older versions of Pharo which the Pharo team does no longer ‘support’?

Of the 15 forks of gsDevKitHome, I am the only person running on the
latest version of the master branch. So it appears that folks already
aren't in the habit of upgrading the scripts and I am worried that in 4
years when I presume Pharo3.0 is dropped from the zeroconf site and you
start getting a 404 for the vm30 and pharo30 urls that you guys will be
faced with this question ...

If the Pharo folks said:

   The zeroconf urls will work as long as the site is alive. When a
   Pharo release goes off support the image, changes, sources and vm
   download urls will be changed to be static urls that provide the last
   supported version.

then this would not be an issue.

It will definitely be easier to "just use the url", but I don't relish
the thought of dealing with the fire drill that I hit yesterday when a
perfectly good url starts giving 404's...

So I am guilty of thinking ahead ... and perhaps I shouldn't worry...