[Glass] GsDevKit Server Blocks for Thin Client appications ... pre-announcement

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Apr 16 05:50:05 PDT 2015

On 4/15/15 11:02 PM, Sebastian Heidbrink via Glass wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> that is amazing news! Thank you!
Well it's in the very early stages, but I do think it has some
interesting potential:)

> There is one thing that I would love to try out!
> Could you please compile the needed communication dlls for RaspbianOS
> on ARM architecture.
>
> I would love to try out to connect ScratchOnPi with the needed tODE
> layer and serverBlocks during the Spring CampSmalltalk in Nanaimo,BC
> Canada end of April.
Well, on the one hand I would love to say, yes, but you have to
understand that building the dlls on a new architecture does not come
without a significant commitment on our part ... if we're lucky the dlls
will build without problems in RaspbianOS, but to get to that point we
need to port our development environment to RaspbianOS, if we're lucky
that port will go without a hitch ... if we're lucky then your
experiment is successful, but then we will be faced with the prospect of
supporting a new architecture ... without a business case.

So perhaps we should take this discussion off-line and see what we can
work out? We are in the midst of our push for 3.3, so we don't have a
lot of spare cycles right now...

> The only thing I am not really aware of is the question if it is
> possible at all to load the tODE communication layers into a Squeak
> image? Would it?
tODE can be ported to Squeak ... it's one of the items on my todo list
... The communication layer code is based on the GemTools code base
which shouild work on both Pharo and Squeak. OTOH, I am using some Pharo
specific widget/menu code for the list and text views, but with a little
work I am certain that the gui can be ported to Squeak.

Unfortunately I do not have the cycles to put into this ... I'm running
on fumes as it is:) I am willing to help, but I can't take the point on
doing this right now.

Is it possible to do your proof of concept work for Scratch without
having to run on the ARM? That will save quite a bit of up front effort
that would be needed just to have the experiment fail on the ARM ... I'm
guessing the tODE port to Squeak could be done within a week or so...

> It is really too unfortunate that Pharo's VirtualGPU needs NativeBoost
> which is not available for the ARM VMs.... The other thing I would
> love to try out is having a Gemstone Pharo VirtualGPU tODE-ServerBlock
> Parallella board setup.
It looks like the Parallela runs Ubuntu14.04 so this might be an easier
route to go?