[Glass] gsApplicationTools global environment variables

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Apr 17 09:28:50 PDT 2015

A quick look in the startGemServerGem script shows that there is a
stone-specific env var used to control the location of log files:

logDir=${GEMSTONE_LOGDIR}
if [ "${logDir}x" = "x" ] ; then
   logDir=/opt/gemstone/log
fi
logFile="${logDir}/${GemServer}_server-${Port}.log"

The GEMSTONE_LOGDIR is defined
$GS_HOME/gemstone/stones/<stone-name>/defStone.env ... this script is
run before starting the netldi by th $GS_HOME/bin/startNetldi script ...

If you run the startGemServerGem script from within a gem (using
Smalltalk), then the env vars are inherited from the netldi that started
the gem.

If you manually start the netldi (and don't use the startNetldi script),
you could have had the wrong env vars defined ...

If you run the startGemServerGem script from within a topaz job, the env
vars are inherited from the environment from which you started the topaz
job.

Finally, if you are manually running startGemServerGem, then it picks up
whatever env vars you have set when start the job

You should be able to do `.
$GS_HOME/gemstone/stones/<stone-name>/defStone.env` to get the right env
vars set ...

Of course you may be refering to some other issue/global:)

Dale