[Glass] GsDevKit Server Blocks for Thin Client appications ... pre-announcement

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Apr 21 09:32:05 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> On 04/21/2015 08:57 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> This is very interesting!!! Not exactly right now, BUT at some point in
>> the future, i was thinking an scenario where this could really be of help.
>> Basically, I have some jobs that would take hours/days to run (for example
>> neural networks implementations for backtesting and automated trading). And
>> these jobs may not read/write much of the data in GemStone. So what I
>> thought is to fire up several Pharo images to split the work and to avoid
>> collapsing the stone that will be used for other things as well.
>>
> Yes this type of "light weight" stone access is one of the things that
> server blocks are good for ... you can login and logout on demand so there
> is no need to keep sessions alive for long periods of time ...
>
>> With that strategy in mind, I needed to somehow resolve the read/write of
>> the little data I need (either REST + json or whatever). But this server
>> blocks idea may be exactly what I need.
>>
> Yep ... I think the best model is to keep things simple (thus the emphasis
> on thin client) ... but the built-in STON access and the ability to execute
> arbitrary Smalltalk on the server makes server blocks superior to a restful
> interface ... Obviously for external use REST is the right thing but for
> trusted clients it's really a good way to go ...

Dale,

I fully agree with all you said. There is something I would really like to
know and it's about the exact type of primitive objects that can
successfully be serialized from Pharo to GemStone (are these the tests of
STONWriterTests?) . That is... the tempvars 'x' and 'y' of your example. I
think I remember you saying there were some problems with certain type of
objects....