[Glass] How to remote debug exceptions caused by seaside rendering?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Apr 27 17:47:39 PDT 2015

On 04/27/2015 05:36 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Dale Henrichs
> <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mariano,
>
>     I have submitted the bug and recorded the stack ... when I get a
>     chance I will dig into this mystery ... it really appears that the
>     debug path (#debug) is being skipped when debugging the
>     continuation  and it's not clear why ... there is a bit of code
>     involved so it's not straightforward to resolve...
>
>     Looking again at the code, the following code snippet from
>     WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: might be causing some
>     trouble:
>
>               self requestContext request isXmlHttpRequest
>                 ifTrue: [
>                   wb addContinuation.
>                   (self requestContext responseGenerator
>     internalError: anException)
>                     respond ]
>
>     if the internalError: code doesn't behave ...
>

> What do you mean by if #internalError: doesn't behave? Of course I
> cannot debug this but since I can reproduce the issue very easily, I
> can add some Transcript show: and then grep the logs.  Do you want me
> to add some log somewhere?

I am thinking out loud ... I had missed this chunk of code in
WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler (is this the error handler class
that you are using?) before as I was looking in the superclass ...

I cannot imagine how the open debugger code in the continuation can fail
... the `action ==#debug` code is pretty simple ...

The only thing I can imagine is that a second continuation with a
follow-on error is being triggered (perhaps the mechanism is related to
Paul's comment is the root of evil) and either replaces the original
error continuation or masquerades as the original error continuation
(have you looked at the error continuation immediately preceding the one
with the "bad stack"?) ..