[Glass] native code enabled

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Aug 26 11:41:08 PDT 2015

On 8/26/15 10:15 AM, James Foster via Glass wrote:
> My suspicion is that a config file disabled native code to allow for
> debugging. In an earlier version (3.1?) if you tried to debug native
> code it failed. In later versions the VM will convert the method back
> to interpreted and allow debugging. I vaguely recall that GemTools
> turned native code off to address this problem. Instead, Jade has a
> menu to turn it off after login. I’m not sure about tOAD.
>
> James

The GLASS/GsDevKit default system.conf files turned off native code
generation to make it possible to use the remote breakpoint facilities
in production gems. Remote breakpoints allow a developer to arrange to
set a breakpoint in a server gem and when the breakpoint is encountered,
snap off a continuation to the object log, and then resume execution
without the end user ever seeing an error ... there is a similar
facility for handling halts in production code as well .... For a range
of releases between 2.4 and 3.x sometime, it was necessary to be in
interpreted mode to have breakpoints take effect.

Remote breakpoints are functional in 2.4.x. In the 3.x line remote
breakpoints have had a more checkered history. Between changes in gem to
gem signalling and various issues in the behavior related to catching
and resuming Breakpoint exceptions the feature isn't usable in all 3.x
releases.

In the more recent  versions of GemStone (3.2.x sometime), new threads
are automatically run in interpreted mode when a breakpoint is set in
the gem, so I've since removed the conf file entry so that by default
everything is run in Native mode ...