[Glass] Queries in Gemstone ...

itlists@schrievkrom.de via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Feb 8 12:14:34 PST 2015

Well, the simplest stuff would be: execute a query and give me back the
results - if indices can be used: use them (coding perspective).

If its too slow the programmer must have some hints from the query
executing machine like it is on the relational database - then the
programmer can add indices as wanted to improve the situation
(performance perspective).

That's the idea I would like to see ... and which is not trivial.

Marten

Am 08.02.2015 um 20:22 schrieb Dale Henrichs:

> On 2/8/15 10:21 AM, itlists at schrievkrom.de wrote:
>> Yes, I know ... but for a simple question this seems to be lots of work
>> and with the introduction of the new query manager in 3.2.3 I hope that
>> Gemstone does more work possible in this direction ...
>>
> Marten,
>
> Since you appear to be disappointed with my "put an index on x.z, query
> on x.z = ??? and then sort the result set on x.q" answer, I am curious
> what answer you were looking for?
>
> You used the word "efficient" in your question and I assumed that you
> meant "efficient" from a performance perspective, but perhaps you meant
> "efficient" from a coding perspective?
>
> If so, do you have suggestions for an API that would satisfy you?

Marten Feldtmann