[Glass] Saving "large" documents in GemStone

itlists@schrievkrom.de via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Feb 10 10:01:32 PST 2015

Same ideas here,

we decided to put the images into the filesystem and only the file path
into the database due to several reasons:

-> Apache might directly access these pictures and delivers them without
   interaction with Gemstone (less CPU time needed on Gemstone)

-> Database file might increase significantly and this could be a
   problem with the "free" introduction license

-> SPC problem already mentioned

-> We even upload the images NOT via Gemstone/HTTP to reduce CPU time
   for Gemstone and stay away from the 10MB limitation within
   Zinc/gemstone.

Marten

Am 10.02.2015 um 18:54 schrieb Dale Henrichs via Glass:
> Joachim,
>
> I'd like to hear from other users as well ...
>
> I think that historically, GemStone file i/o wasn't the fastest kid on
> the block especially if you needed to chunk up files to get them into
> memory. We have plans to make improvement in that particular area in 3.3.
>
> For the types of files you are talking about, there isn't much value to
> having them in memory and if you are serving them up through GemStone,
> then they will be consuming potentially valuable SPC (shared page cache)
> space. So if you can arrange to server up these files independently of
> GemStone then that makes a lot of sense.
>
> You do have a bit of a "2 phase commit" problem when initially storing
> the files to disk, because you do have to ensure that the file makes it
> to disk and the commit with path succeeds, but this is a manageable problem.
>
> Dale
>
> On 02/10/2015 08:22 AM, Joachim Tuchel via Glass wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> we're wondering if GLASS users store files like PDF, MP3 or the like
>> in GemStone. Or would you suggest putting such Blobs into external
>> storage. For a possible project, we are thinking about whether it
>> would be better to use a NoSQL DB for pdf files and such and only
>> store "real" Smalltalk objects in GemStone.
>>
>> The option of having all in one storage, only needing one
>> backup/restore mechanism and such sounds interesting, but we are
>> interested to hear opinions on whether this would work well. We are
>> talking about many thousands of documents, sound snippets and such
>> over time.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joachim

Marten Feldtmann