[Glass] Saving "large" documents in GemStone

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Feb 10 09:54:56 PST 2015

Joachim,

I'd like to hear from other users as well ...

I think that historically, GemStone file i/o wasn't the fastest kid on
the block especially if you needed to chunk up files to get them into
memory. We have plans to make improvement in that particular area in 3.3.

For the types of files you are talking about, there isn't much value to
having them in memory and if you are serving them up through GemStone,
then they will be consuming potentially valuable SPC (shared page cache)
space. So if you can arrange to server up these files independently of
GemStone then that makes a lot of sense.

You do have a bit of a "2 phase commit" problem when initially storing
the files to disk, because you do have to ensure that the file makes it
to disk and the commit with path succeeds, but this is a manageable problem.

Dale