[Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Norbert Hartl via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Feb 11 14:19:09 PST 2015

> Am 09.02.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Dale Henrichs via Glass <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>:
>
> The appliance is no longer available so building your own vm is the best bet, as Bruno suggests.
>
> I am in the process of putting together pretty comprehensive instructions for installing GemStone [1], but I haven't quite automated the os update process, but I do have manual instructions for preparing Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubunut14.04[2]. And eventually I will supply information about installing and configuration nginx and/or lighttpd .. there are folks on this list who use one or the other and I'm sure they can help with the configuration details.

I know nobody is interested. But I don't understand why taking an approach like I did with virtual-gemstone [1] is not a good fit to produce applicances and make it possible for people to adjust their own. The stuff in the repository is quite old so I don't think it will run out of the box.

A short summary:

- you provide an iso image of your preferred linux distro
- veewee installs a basic linux
- it hands control over to vagrant
- vagrant configures the system
- vagrant installs chef
- chef uses the available recipes to install all the software you need

I made this up to installing nginx, gemstone, install seaside in gemstone, etc. If everything it is one command to invoke that spits out a read made virtual appliance that runs gemstone. I never did it but it is prepared so that you could generate the appliances from a jenkins server.

just saying,

Norbert

[1] https://github.com/noha/virtual-gemstone <https://github.com/noha/virtual-gemstone>