[Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Norbert Hartl via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Feb 11 16:13:23 PST 2015

> Am 09.02.2015 um 16:55 schrieb FrankB via Glass <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> thank you for the answers (though it's not what I had hoped for). Actually,
> before posting here I had gone through all available links but they were all
> dead-ends.
>
> If I will have to go through this awful hassle of installing it all, then I
> will forget about a VM and install it directly on my OpenSuSe machine,
> because:
> - it' kind of the "German Linux"
> - a cousin of mine has been working for them for many years and still knows
> many of their staff in Nürnberg
> - and they seem to be leading in the corporate arena

In the german market ;) You cannot beat redhat in the US.

> - YAST saves me from a lot of this ugly ASCII terminal typing
> - it's a shame that this world has not much improved in almost 30 years
> since I started working with *nix and selling Xenix, later Unix V based
> solutions way back in 1986 !!!
>
> BTW: VW5 runs batches (parsing crawled files) on SuSe about 2,5-3 times
> faster compared to Win7 with almost identical hardware.

My approach (I wrote an email about earlier) uses chef to orchestrate linuxes. There you "install a package". On debian systems it uses apt-get and on suse yast. It is an easy way to provide cross-linux-platform support.

greetings from cologne,

Norbert