[Glass] Hosting GLASS and CPU limit problem

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Feb 11 14:43:22 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> Am 10.02.2015 um 18:55 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <
> glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>:
>
> OK, thanks Dale. Then it might have been something different what I
> remember.
>
> there are other things. It is not just that gemstone limits the
> installation to two cores but it insists using CPU core #0 and #1. We've
> built LXC containers and assigned cores to those. That doesn't work if the
> container hasn't assigned cores #0 and #1. You need to know that scheduling
> in linux is in a way that spawning a process is first down on the core the
> forking process runs and is then probably offloaded due to shortage on that
> core. So on boot a lot of processes will be on the first cores and then
> moved away.

Hi Norbert,

I am not sure I understood you correctly. Could you explain a bit more
please? What you are saying is that you try to kind of "reserve core0 and
core1" as much as possible for GemStone? If true, how did you do that?
Because that was going to be another of my question. Which is...imagine I
have a 4 or 6 cores machine...is there something I can do so that I keep
core0 and core1 as much as possible for GemStone and make the OS use as
much as possible the other 2 or 4 cores?

Thanks in advance,