[Glass] Saving "large" documents in GemStone

Joachim Tuchel via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Feb 10 08:22:32 PST 2015

Hi there,

we're wondering if GLASS users store files like PDF, MP3 or the like in
GemStone. Or would you suggest putting such Blobs into external storage. For a
possible project, we are thinking about whether it would be better to use a
NoSQL DB for pdf files and such and only store "real" Smalltalk objects in
GemStone.

The option of having all in one storage, only needing one backup/restore
mechanism and such sounds interesting, but we are interested to hear opinions on
whether this would work well. We are talking about many thousands of documents,
sound snippets and such over time.

Thanks

Joachim