[Glass] Monit scripts for gemstone?

Johan Brichau via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 19 11:58:06 PST 2015

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 23:07, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> if failed port PORT1 then restart
>
> Is this in case that the gem could be somehow "hanged" yet still having the port still open? Any other reason?

We do sometimes have a gem that stops being responsive or a gem that is just processing a request that takes way too long (blocking other users).
In those cases, I prefer to kill it and have it restarted.

> I ask because I am experimenting something which I am not sure this is the expected behavior. Basically, what happens to me is that if the gem is up and alive, monit (when it checks the status of the process) will be waiting for those 40 seconds before continue checking the next process. Is this expect? It is happening the same to you?

aha… I did not notice that actually. I never actually checked either.
I just assumed monit has it’s ‘cycle’ doing these checks every xx minutes (this is configurable).
So… as long as the check is done every xxx time, I’m comfortable with it.

> which timeout you have in your webserver for the upstreams? 40 seconds too?

Approximately yes. I do some experimenting with these numbers to see what happens but they are mostly set at 40 or 50s for Yesplan. If monit has to wait that long to get a response, it means a user has to do that too and, hence, we let monit reboot the gem. If it is was processing stuff, we just killed that guy and if not, we made it responsive again.

I’m sure there are better ways but this is what we are doing for now.

Johan