[Glass] Monit scripts for gemstone?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 26 08:51:34 PST 2015

Sorry for the late response, I've been sick the last week or so and I'm
just starting to dig out of my email hole:)

On 2/21/15 6:40 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> I’m a suspicious about the ’10 concurrent threads’ per gem.
>
> I know this is what the code is supposed to do, but I always encounter
> a deadlock when a (seaside) request in process sends a request that is
> to be treated by the same seaside gem, but for a completely different
> application (and thus certainly not the same seaside session). I would
> expect that the gem accepts the request and is able to process it
> because 10 concurrent requests can be accepted, nevertheless I always
> get a timeout.
The 10 concurrent threads is a function of how many accept() calls are
processed (gateway semaphore)... the gem is still only going to process
1 request at a time (transaction mutex) so I guess I'd like to see some
stacks with these errors ... is the timeout happening because of an
accept() timeout or is the timout happening because the overall
processing time has taken too lon?

> On the other hand, if you remember, we did hit and fix a bug with the
> semaphore back at ESUG in Edinburgh that clearly indicated that
> another request _can_ be processed while another one is sitting idle.
> However, there does not seem to be a guarantee in my experience. What
> I suspect (but you can probably tell me more :) is that the request in
> process not always yields to a process that would accept the incoming
> request.
I don't remember those details ... do you have a reference to the code
we fixed?

> Just yesterday I got at such a situation because I am fine-tuning the
> automated tests of our application. In that scenario, there is a
> single Swazoo (or Zinc) server running and a request in process is
> making a (Zinc) http call to the localhost for a different Seaside
> application (but thus served by the same gem). In a real usecase, this
> call is done in the service vm but for testing purposes this http call
> is made synchronously. However, I get a timeout for this second call.
> I hit this both in Gemstone 2.4 and 3.1
Okay ... you are being deadlocked by the transaction mutex ... with the
transaction mutex there will only ever be on request being processes at
any one time ... so with a single gem and making a client http call from
within the single active seaside request (with the transaction mutex)
you are guaranteed to get deadlock ...