[Glass] taming growth in a database

Otto Behrens via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Feb 25 07:23:52 PST 2015

We recently had fairly big migrations to run through and we have the
need to limit the growth of the repository.

Thanks to GemStone (Bill Erickson) that helped with this issue and we
got a solution that works.

I eventually got a deployment through today. This is because we made
significant changes in the way we handle keeping history, and hence
the larger migrations. The problematic database had historical
integrity issues that we had to fix.

The scheme to start a checkpoint worked, together with waiting for
PagesNeedReclaimSize to drop.

I attach some code that someone may find useful. I'm not entirely
happy with the code. For example, just sticking it onto Object isn't
great.

Cheers
Otto