[Glass] extent0.dbf grows

James Foster via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jul 31 07:33:29 PDT 2015

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
> Ciao,
>
> 	i have a deployment system based on GemStone version '3.1.0.6'
>

> 	Now i use Gemtools and todeClient to do some works on the repository:  update code,  save repository .....
>

> 	When i login with the tools  i note the repository grows significantly,	  and also,	 the relative  full backups grows significantly.
>
> 	To reset the system i need to clear the Object Log with the relative clear command  ( ol clear	 in tode )

Do you think that the Object Log grows significantly during your time logged in with the tools? What is its size at the beginning and end of your session?

> 	After 1 hour ,  because i have active the #WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask
>
> 		A) the system 	recovers the free space
>
> 		B) the relative full backups become small
>
> 	But now i have an extent0.dbf   of   5 991 563 264  	with a freeSpace of 5 267 701 760.
>
> 	It is not a very good situation.

Why? Having empty space in the repository (extents) isn’t really much worse than having empty (unused) space in the file system.

> 	Questions:
>
> 		1) what should I do with the tools to not increase the size of the relative extent ?
>
> 			I need to operate with the tools  when the seasideGems30 are down ?

The most common cause of unexpected repository growth is a commit record (CR) backlog. If you log in a session and do not commit while other sessions do commits, then you get a CR backlog. You should ensure that each login, including tools, does a regular commit.

Yes. See https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2.htm?https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/7-RepositorySpace.htm#pgfId-82473 <https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2.htm?https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/7-RepositorySpace.htm#pgfId-82473>.

> 		3) there is possibility of directly reducing the extent file ?

Repository>>#’shrinkExtents’ might be worth a try, but it is so rarely useful that it has been deprecated.

> 	Thanks for any considerations,
>

> 		Dario

James