[Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 1 09:46:31 PDT 2015

> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Dale Henrichs
> <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Oh, good ... you _are_ interested in a continuation:)
>

> yes!
>

>     BTW, it does appear that in the
>     WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler case, the errors are not
>     logged to the gem log ... it is probably worth adding that
>     capability since it isn't always a guarantee that the commit will
>     succeed and logging to the gem log means that the error won't be
>     lost forever ...
>

> Exactly!!!! that was my conclusion: ajax exceptions end up in the
> repository object log but NOT in the gem log text file, which is
> something I would really like (as it happens with normal request
> exceptions).
>
>     something like WAErrorHandler>>saveExceptionContinuation: could be
>     called from WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: to log to
>     the gem log AND save the continuation to the object log ...
>

> But the save in the object log is already happening. If we call
> #saveExceptionContinuation: would that be stored twice?
> Do we know who is storing the continuation in the object log in case
> of an ajax error?

It looks like WARemoteDebuggingWalkback>>addContinuation is the spot
where the continuation is being saved to the object log and there is
nothing written to the gem log there, so the call to add a message to
the gem log needs to be added in
WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: ... I've got a proposed fix
up on github[1].

Please take a look (others as well) and perhaps comment on the changes
before I push them out to gs_master... It would be nice if you could
verify that I've pinpointed the right spot...

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/Seaside31/commit/fd8fe4e22ccdba9eb0b166fa90385bd4a4141c41