[Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 1 12:37:45 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> On 05/30/2015 08:37 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Dale Henrichs <
> dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
>>  Oh, good ... you _are_ interested in a continuation:)
>>

>  yes!
>

>> BTW, it does appear that in the WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler
>> case, the errors are not logged to the gem log ... it is probably worth
>> adding that capability since it isn't always a guarantee that the commit
>> will succeed and logging to the gem log means that the error won't be lost
>> forever ...
>>

>  Exactly!!!! that was my conclusion: ajax exceptions end up in the
> repository object log but NOT in the gem log text file, which is something
> I would really like (as it happens with normal request exceptions).
>

>> something like WAErrorHandler>>saveExceptionContinuation: could be called
>> from WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: to log to the gem log AND
>> save the continuation to the object log ...
>>

>  But the save in the object log is already happening. If we call
> #saveExceptionContinuation: would that be stored twice?
> Do we know who is storing the continuation in the object log in case of an
> ajax error?
>

> It looks like WARemoteDebuggingWalkback>>addContinuation is the spot where
> the continuation is being saved to the object log and there is nothing
> written to the gem log there, so the call to add a message to the gem log
> needs to be added in WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: ... I've
> got a proposed fix up on github[1].
>
> Please take a look (others as well) and perhaps comment on the changes
> before I push them out to gs_master... It would be nice if you could verify
> that I've pinpointed the right spot...

Thanks Dale. I just tried [1] and I found a little issue since in
#logContinuation:  you do a "self stackReportLimit":

stack := GsProcess stackReportToLevel: self stackReportLimit.

But you don't implemented (and I see where #logContinuation comes from
ahhaha (GemServer >> #writeGemLogEntryFor: exception titled: title). So I
simply added:

WARemoteDebuggingWalkback >> stackReportLimit
  ^ 300

And it works now.

Thank you very much for the fix!