[Glass] ssh -c arcfour, blowfish-cbc -XC ... USE THIS FOR REMOTE GEMTOOLS:)

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Mar 25 10:43:17 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <

> I just tried out Mariano's suggestion to use compression and X11
> forwarding for GemTools and the performance is Very Good for me ... I'm
> forwarding from my laptop over the WAN to my desktop system in the office
> and then forwarding from there to a vm running on the desktop system and
> the performance is just a bit slower than what I see when running X11
> forwarding from my desktop system to the vm ...

Glad it helped you too. Sorry, I didn't remember if I had to install extra
libs for those. It seems I didn't...

> Things are a bit snappier if I use port forwarding, but the advantage of
> XLL forwarding is that you don't have to install GemTools on the remote
> system...

Indeed. At least installing GemTools in remote server is only once and if
you store the yum/apt-get whatever commands is not so complicated.

> I will be updating my docs for the soon to be released gsDevKitHome 1.0.0

Cool.