[Glass] #1 Status of appliance #2 Will you be at ESUG 2015 in Italy?

FrankB via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue May 19 20:13:18 PDT 2015

Hello folks at GemStone,

I am bringing this up again for two reasons:

1) I am still very seriously interested in getting to know GemStone ideally
during June 2015 (reason see #2). I have never worked with Pharo and I am
neither a Linux expert (despite having worked with Xenix/Unix since 1986!)
nor an expert on mastering system level specialties.

Additionally, I recently talked to a very experienced Smalltalk developer
who is much more experienced in these system things than I am and he said
that when trying to install GemStone he encountered various problems (there
was no reason to discuss of what nature) so that he gave up after a few
days. I shall not go through such a nightmare. (And please DO NOT tell me
that this was simple for you. If it really was then why don't you prove it
by making a ready-to-go VM appliance in a couple of minutes!?)

I think that for such a sophisticated and complex system like GemStone it
should be kind of natural to enable interested new users to play with it
without having to go through a long and painful installation procedure.

To be honest: This enduring absence of a test appliance is not suitable to
build-up my confidence!

2) Question to the GemStone folks: Will you be at ESUG in Italy this year?

I am considering to attend primarily to meet you and some other people from
overseas for some "strategic discussions".

But since only politicians and journalists are allowed to talk about
subjects that they haven't got the faintest clue of, I would very much
prefer to have played with GemStone before meeting you.

Hoping that one of the GemStone folks will now "easily and quickly" generate
a VM appliance ready to play with (= please with Pharo included and
interfaced).

Do I have to mention that my projects that I am considering to use GemStone
for not only have the potential but a very good likeliness to by far exceed
the limits of your free and low-end versions?!

Best regards
FrankB