[Glass] gsDevKit 3.1.0.6 license limit

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu May 28 15:52:33 PDT 2015

On 5/27/15 2:20 AM, Dario Trussardi via Glass wrote:
> Dale, folk,
>
>> Dario,
>>
>> For 3.1, the license permits an unlimited repository size (total size
>> of all extent*.dbf files), so you are well within the license terms ...
>
> It's new for me to have an environment with some extent*.dbf
>
> For now i know only about only one extent0.dbf  for a glass environment.
>
> Question:
>
> how i can read about it?
The System Administration Guide[1]&[2] are probably good starting points
... this is a pointer to the 3.2 docs, but the differences are probably
negligable for older versions of GemStone (when in doubt look at the
docs for your your version)

[1]
http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/7-RepositorySpace.htm
[2]
http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/1-Server.htm#68531

> what is the size limit for only one extent0.dbf ?
Here's a link referring to extent sizes[3]... It looks like the max
extent size  is 33554432MB.

[3]
http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/A-ConfigOptions.htm#pgfId-355682

> when i need to manage some extent*.dbf ?

The main performance point for going to multiple extents occurs when
your rate of writing dirty pages from the SPC to disk exceeds that max
i/o rate for your disk .... You'll recognize this condition when your
SPC fills up with dirty pages and the io rate to your disk is maxed out
or your free frame page server is consuming all of a CPU ... When you
add a second extent on a separate LUN, you will add a second free frame
page server. with the extent on a separate "spindle" you'll have an
additional i/o channel to saturate.... basically additional extents
allow you to spread out disk i/o across multiple devices and effectively
increase the number of pages read and/or written per second...