[Glass] Is anyone using upstart to launch stones via tODE?

Jupiter Jones via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Nov 24 14:21:28 PST 2015

Hi Dale,

> Sorry I can't help with upstart, but if you are interested in sharing your work, I will create a GsDevKit/GsDevKit_upstart project where the scripts/templates can be shared …

Thanks Dale. Mariano is going to share his sysV and monit scripts as well, so it would be good to setup repos for these as well.

> I'm interested in isolating the scripts/templates for upstart/monit/daemontools/nginx/etc. because my sense is that there is utility to being able to manage the production scripts under git and the model would be that the master branch would have the standard scripts and templates and then for production a branch would be used to manage the production changes …

Absolutely! It’s the last piece of the puzzle moving from dev to production. Additionally supporting gsApplicationTools / ServiceVM / Seaside / whatever would need to be included so that not only GemStone is covered, but templates for apps using those known entry points..

> By having separate git repositories for each of the subsystems, then a developer can mix and match the subsystems being used and (perhaps more importantly) to be able pick and choose which subsystems get updated and which ones to leave as is ….

Exactly :)

> For ss3, I make changes to the "template" files in-place in a git repository and then use symbolic links to hook up the "templates" with the actual system locations for lighttpd, monit and daemonetools .... I don't know if this practice (symbolic liinks) makes sense for other systems like upstart, but it is comforting to know that if I mess up some script edits, I can restore the scripts to their previous state with a simple `git checkout` ...

I do the same thing with dns and nginx, and based on my reading of upstart, it should work the same way too.

This is part of what I was hoping to achieve with the gsDeploymentTools project, however, the amazing devOps guy that was going to contribute to the bare-metal and AWS images took a month off to travel before starting and found himself a very lucrative position in Dubai and never returned :)

Regardless, I’m keen to get this part done and dusted.

Cheers,

Jupiter