[Glass] should installTode allowed to specify whether to snapshot or not?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Oct 25 15:07:15 PDT 2015

On 10/25/15 2:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass
> <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mariano,
>
>     Since you say that "extent snapshots are very expensive on disk",
>     I assume that you never really want installTode to do extent
>     backups....
>
>     If that is true, then you can customize the script that does the
>     extent backup by copying the file
>     $GS_HOME/sys/default/client/tode-scripts/installServerTode2 to
>     $GS_HOME/sys/local/client/tode-scripts and then remove the backups
>     and or snapshots as you'd like.
>
>     BTW, the extent backup is made AFTER tode is installed, because
>     before tODE is installed there is no tODE to do the command...
>
>     Any, here is the default installServerTode2:
>
>       script --script=setUpSys      # set up the in-image tODE /sys
>     structure
>       bu backup --commit tode.dbf   # backup of initial tODE install
>     with /sys structures in place
>       bu snapshot --commit tode.dbf # make a snapshot of initial tODE
>     install with /sys structures in place
>
>     And you can remove both or one of the backups made ... the
>     setUpSys is the important bit...
>

> OK, thanks Dale. I guess that at least for the upgrade process I can
> change these files. Or..maybe I will remove the snapshots for sure
> (maybe I let backups, I will see).

Yeah I think letting you make a system-wide decision like never make
snapshots and/or backups is much better than trying to manage the
passing of the arguments all over the place when there is one spot where
you simply make your decision ... it's also why I've split the scripts
up into pieces so the decision to make pre/post backup/snapshot is
independent of the actual work being done ...

normally I would expect you to change the setUpSys or rebuildSys scripts
themselves unless you have additional structure that you want to build
at that point ...