[Glass] Magritte on Gemstone install instructions

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Sep 3 08:51:29 PDT 2015

On 9/2/15 11:04 PM, Iwan Vosloo via Glass wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 18:04, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
>> If you have information to contribute about installing and running
>> Magritte with GemStone I would appreciate it if you would share that
>> information on the GsDevKitHome project page[1] via pull request ...
>> Note that that page is on the dev branch ...
>
> Sure, as soon as I understand enough myself. I am a bit lost currently
> between different repos and different flavours and installation
> instructions :-)
I'm sorry:) You haven't mentioned which version of GemStone you are
using or how long you have been using GemStone so I assumed that you
followed the instructions on the README[1] to install GemStone. I am
curious as to which version of GLASS/GemStone you are using. Are you
using Seaside?

I have been making significant changes to the supporting infrastructure
for GLASS/GsDevKit to make creating/managing multiple stones a bit
easier for newcomers and while that work is ongoing not all of the bits
and pieces are complete ...

To load Magritte into GemStone, the following expression should load the
latest 3.2 release of Magritte3 into the most recent version of GLASS[2]
running any version of GemStone:

   Metacello new
     configuration: 'Magritte3';
     version: #release3.2;
     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Magritte/Magritte3/main';
     load: "The packages or groups that you are interested in"

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader#gsupgrader-classupgradeglass1

> Somehow I expect installation instructions for Magritte in terms of
> Metacello/Gofer because our infrastructure and CI servers have been
> built around those mechanisms. On the GsDevKitHome project page I see
> shell scripts and environment variables and doing things from
> scratch... which I will have to study for half a day before I know how
> to do the same in our current infrastructure.
gsDevKitHome and tODE have been aimed at providing that kind of support
"out of the box" without gsDevKitHome each developer has had to build
their own supporting scripts.
> (Right now my priority is Magritte and making sure we give feedback re
> bugs and enhancements in the right place, and about the correct
> Magritte code base.)
I used #release3.2 above, because I believe that it is functional (unit
tests passing), but if you are interested in using the latest then
perhaps #release3 (?) would be a better choice.

> BTW, I'd love to play with tODE also... and somehow the quickest path
> there would be for me to also install the client in a Pharo image
> (which I already have) via Metacello.

If you are interested in learning about tODE I encourage you to use the
development branch of gsDevKitHome and follow these instructions[3] (the
earlier link was for the master branch of gsDevKitHome). I have another
structural change in the works (separating out the tODE Client
scripts/structure from the server) but the basic functionality is pretty
compete.

Creating a tODE Pharo image is part of the installation process, so the
`installServer` script mentioned in the README[3] will create everything
for you including a running stone with tODE loaded...

I will appreciate your feedback ... and I want to help where I can with
Magritte.

Dale

[3]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-