[Glass] Getting Started With GLASS

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Sep 9 12:09:02 PDT 2015

On 09/09/2015 02:59 AM, Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm stuck and failing to get GLASS working, and looking for any advice
> or hints as to where to keep looking!
>
> So far I've been able to:
>
>  1. run Seaside locally on Pharo on my Mac by following the Boquitas
>     example,
>  2. been able to install the DevKit on my Mac and fire tODE following
>     your guidelines on gitgub/gsDevKitHome, and

Are you doing the work on the dev branch ... I recommend that you use
the dev branch ... especially getting started ...

>  1. install the latest Gemstone on my production Linux (Debian Wheezy)
>
> But I haven't been able to either set-up Seaside on Gemstone,
If you are using the dev branch on gsDevKitHome, to load Seaside you
execute the following in the tODE console:

   mount @/sys/stone/dirs/gsDevKitHome/projects/seaside31 /home seaside
# mount the seaside directory in tODE
/home/seaside/install # install Seaside

the install script will install Seaside and the following tODE command
can be used to  run a Seaside webServer using Zinc:

   cd /home/seaside
   ./webServer --register=zinc --port=8080
   ./ webServer --start

using `webServer -h` to learn about other options.

This process is documented here[1]. Please let me know if you have
problems, I am working hard to get the infrastructure in shape and the
docs sometimes lag the reality of the code/scripts:)... being on the dev
branch things are still a bit in flux although the basic functionality
is pretty solid.

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev/projects/seaside31#seaside31-

> or even the DevKit on production (headless hosted server).
On the dev branch, I think the README[2] is better organized for
providing instructions for installing on a headless Ubunutu14.04 server.
For example there is an osPrereqs script that can be used to install all
of the prereqs which is the usual sticking point if the hosted server
you are targetting is not based on Ubunutu, I don't have a canned script
for prereqs yet ... it is on my ever growing todo list though:)

[2]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-
> I also tried following the GettingStartedWithGLASS guide on GLASS 101
> and I got stuck while updating GLASS, I suppose because the guide is
> quite old and is now incompatible?
Yep, gsDevKitHome is the intended replacement, but I can't put the cart
before the horse ... with that said, having you take the dev branch for
a spin and giving us feedback will make the experience better for those
who follow you ...

> I've run through the installation guide and the programming guide, and
> managed so far to install Gemstone 2.4.8.1, run topaz, and the
> examples in the programming guide. I'm currently reading through the
> Administration guide to gain an understanding of the architecture.
>
> I look forward to finally getting started with GLASS!
I assume you are talking about GemStone 3.2.8.1, not 2.4.8.1:)

tODE is oriented towards those with more traditional Smalltalk
experience ... the big change being that there is a class SmalltalkProxy
that wraps the GemStone symbol list with something that looks like the
more traditional Smalltalk global (which is not present in GemStone)...