[Glass] Can I use tODE in this context?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Sep 14 08:05:34 PDT 2015

The short answer is yes ... You will want a gsDevKitHome (dev branch)
installation to provide the disk structure expected by tODE (you'll want
to define the $GS_HOME env variable -in you netldi context - so that
tODE can find disk artifacts) , but other than that tODE is just another
application running in the stone.

If you don't use the gsDevKitHome scripts, then you will have to create
the pharo tODE client manually and install tODE manually ...

The easiest route would be to install a throwaway stone by following the
instructions in the dev branch readme[1]. Since you've got GemTools and
GemStone running in your system you shouldn't have to install anything
but you can glance at the osPrereqs script to see if there any bits you
might have missed (as questions if you're not sure) using this command:

   installServer tode 3.1.0.6

this will create a todeClient image, create a stone directory structure
called tode that you will use for attaching your pre-existing stones to
... once the process is complete you can shutdown the tode stone and
stop the tode netldi ....

gsDevKitHome uses the following scripts to install tODE:

   $GS_HOME/tode/sys/default/server/scripts/upgradeGLASS.ws
   $GS_HOME/tode/sys/local/server/scripts/installMetacello.ws
   $GS_HOME/tode/sys/local/server/scripts/installGLASS1.ws
   $GS_HOME/tode/sys/local/server/scripts/installTode.ws

If you are using a reasonably recent GLASS1, then you can just do the
installTode.ws step in your stone logged in as your user and do the
following (which is the contents of installTode.ws :):

GsDeployer bulkMigrate: [
   Metacello new
     baseline: 'Tode';
     repository: 'github://dalehenrich/tode:dev/repository';
     onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
     get;
     load: 'GemStone Dev';
     lock ]

For the final step, hooking up to your disk structure I will have to do
a little bit more research/experimentation .... but you might want to do
the tODE install in a sandbox stone and run some of your own unit tests
to make sure that tODE doesn't perturb your system

I'll now comment in-line about your bullet points...

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-

On 9/13/15 5:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <marianopeck at gmail.com <mailto:marianopeck at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dale,
>
>     Can I use tODE in this context:
>
>     1) GemStone 3.1.0.6 (cannot upgrade right now)

I use tODE in all versions of GemStone ... tODE is marginally functional
in 2.4.x (not recommended - trigger occasional SIGSEGV in gci interface)
but in 3.x the system doesn't crash ... I just have been using tODE with
3.2 and 3.3 more than 3.0.1 and 3.1.x, but everything should work ... if
you hit a problem I would like a bug report and stack (if there is one)
- you can use ALT-SHIFT-P to create a text version of the debugger stack
and inspector windows (or any other window for that matter) to produce
your bug report.

>     2) I want to use my own scripts for starting/stopping gems and
>     stones. I have a full bunch of scripts for managing my stones and
>     I would like to continue doing so. So I wonder how easy is to
>     install tODE in stone side and everything....

covered this one:)

>     3) I already have my stones (I won't be creating from scratch).

no problem

>     4) I do NOT use DataCurator user (but a custom user)

shouldn't be a problem ... currently I don't prompt for a password (the
passwords are embedded in the description file), but I intend to
implement that functionality soon (I'd accelerate that for you:)

>     5) My stones, conf files, and everything is at a different
>     location that the layout of GsDevKit

not a problem ... tODE has some directory paths that will need to point
into a gsDevKitHome directory structure ... but the stone does not have
to reside there ...

> 6) I do not use Git but Monticello + Metacello
tODE doesn't require git ... it has tool level support for git ...
> 7) 70% of my usage is for debugging continuations from Object Log. Can
> I debug this from tODE?

Yes. there is an `ol view` command that brings up an object log viewer
and you can debug continuations using a menu item ... take a look at the
`ol` command man page `man ol` as there a number of filtering options
built in (like --age) that you might find useful ... of course if you
have issues or ideas for new `ol` command features I'd like to hear
about them.