[Glass] Netldi and /etc/services (was Newbie on GLASS - Hello world fail)

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Sep 21 10:26:49 PDT 2015

Editing /etc/services is indeed the "approved" method for associating a
netldi name with a specific port, but you do have to "figure this out
ahead of time" and you have to use root to update /etc/services .... The
drawback is that this needs to be done for every stone and a free port
either needs to defined ahead of time (like 50377) or the /etc/services
entry needs to be added after the netldi figures out which port is free ...

I intend to automate this and if folks are comfortable with having to
enter their `sudo` password whenever a stone is created, then I can go
this route ... if there are (good) reasons for not updating
/etc/services on every stone creation, then I can come up with alternate
schemes...

What do you guys think?

Dale