[Glass] Newbie on GLASS - Hello world fail

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Sep 21 11:12:27 PDT 2015

On 09/21/2015 05:03 AM, Ezequiel Tolnay via Glass wrote:

> I found I don't have a ConfigurationOfSeaside defined. I searched
> online and found this and run it to test it:
>
>     Gofer new
>             squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>             package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
>             load.

Ziggy,

I strongly recommend that when using GLASS/GsDevKit, that you use the
Metacello Scripting API for loading projects[1] (or project entries).

With the Metacello Scripting API you would replace the above expression
with something like the following:

   Metacello new
     configuration: 'Seaside';
     repositiry: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository';
     version: #release3
     load

This "new" style of loading projects takes advantage of the Metacello
project registry that tracks the exact version of a project that is
loaded... The old style of loading would try to calculate the version of
a project that was already loaded and while most of the time, it
calculated correctly occasionally it would get it wrong and unhappiness
would follow:)

If you use the scripting API for loading into GLASS, then the projects
will show up in the tODE `project list` and you'll be able to leverage
the `project` command for working with your projects...

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md#metacello-user-guide