[Glass] GsDevKit submit 'testing'

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Feb 5 14:40:43 PST 2016

Ah, excellent! I've been waiting for this question:)

I saw your issue[1] and I've just commented on the issue.

https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit is an interesting beast, because in
the normal scenario you are actually using
https://github.com/glassdb/glass, a fork of
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit. Eventually I will provide a
migration path, but for now all bugfixes should be made against
https://github.com/glassdb/glass.

Step 1:

Fork https://github.com/glassdb/glass, on github using the fork
button[2]. I see you already have a fork[3], so you don't need to
perform this step.

Step 2:

Clone your fork of glassdb/glass to your local development machine.

If you are using GsDevKit_home, then you already have a local clone in
$GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass. If you are not using GsDevKit_home, tell me
more about your setup, so I can give you advice, but for bugfixes it
makes sense to go ahead and set up a little GsDevKit_home installation
to make the bugfix, then when it makes its way through the process to
the master branch, you can access the bufix.

For completeness I'll list the steps to perform clone a git repo (use
the git@ variant if you have already registered an SSH key passphrase,
otherwise use the https variant and you will be prompted for your
username and password):

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos
   # git clone git at github.com:dariogithub/glass.git
   git clone https://github.com/dariogithub/glass.git

Step 3:

The GsDevKit_home clone has the default remote ("origin") pointing at
"https://github.com/dariogithub/glass" and you need to create a remote
that points at your github repository by doing the following (as with
`git clone`, use the git@ variant if you have already registered an SSH
key passphrase, otherwise use the https variant and you will be prompted
for your username and password):

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass
   # git remote add dario git at github.com:dariogithub/glass.git
   git remote add dario https://github.com/dariogithub/glass.git

I've used `dario` as the remote name, but you can use any name that
makes sense to you. The following command lists the remote names that
you've defined for a repo:

   git remote

Step 4:

Now that you've got your git remote defined, you want to make sure that
you've got the latest code in your local clone ... I see that your
github fork is a bit out of date (3 commits behind) so I will include
the steps to get the latest code from glassdb/glass and synchronize with
dariogithub/glass ... steps that you should always perform:

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass
   git checkout master
   git pull origin master
   git push dario master

Step 5:

Before you start work on the bugfix, you should create a topic branch
off of the master branch for your work, this isolates the changes that
you are making for the bugfix from any other work you may have done:

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass
   git checkout master
   git checkout -b issue_88

For bugfixes I always use the pattern `issue_<bug-number>` in naming the
branch so that there is no confusion about why the branch was created.

Step 6:

Now you need to update your existing stone by executing the following
tODE command:

   project load GLASS1

If you didn't already have a stone, create one now and it will be build
using the the new master branch.

Step 7:

Implement the bugfix ... test or better yet, write new tests.

Step 8:

Commit your bugfix using the following tODE command:

   project commit --message=`Issue #88: blah blah` GLASS1

The `#88` in your commit comment, will cause this commit to show up in
the bug report.

Step 9:

Push your fix to your github repo:

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass
   git push daro issue_88

Step 10:

Now create a pull request to submit the changes to the glassdb/glass repo.

First select the `issue_88` branch on github, and then click  on the
'New pull request' button next to the branch list or under the `pull
requests` tab and fill out the information (include issue #88 in the
title and body of the PR, so that a reference to the pr will show up in
the bug report), click on the `create pull request` button and you're done.

I'll get notified of the pull request and a job will be kicked off on
travis-ci to run all of the tests against your changes ... when the
travis tests are green and I've reviewed the code, I'll merge the
bugfinx onto the master branch.

Step 11:

Pick up the merged bugfix in your local clone and update your fork:

   cd $GS_HOME/shared/repos/glass
   git checkout master
   git pull origin master
   git push dario master