[Glass] fix for Issue #83: adding an IV to a class with same name as temp used in method in subclass is trouble

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jan 3 12:18:40 PST 2016

Not too long ago there was a discussion about some folks having
(unspecified) problems with getting corrupted class hierarchies when
using GLASS/GsDevKit ... I asked for specifics and didn't get any takers
(which is fine) ....

Anyway, over the weekend I ran into a specific problem[1] where
ineractively adding an instance variable to a superclass resulted in a
method silently disappearing from a subclass ... with a reproducible
test case in my hot little hands, I was able to figure out the problem
and put together a fix ...

This problem would show up in package loads as an error during the load,
but the class structure could be corrupted (in the interactive case no
error was signalled and the class structure was correct) ...

So I do recommend that folks pick up the latest version of glass[2].

If you are using GsDevKit_home, you can get the latest version
downloaded to your git repos (along with updating the other git repos
used) by executing the following script:

   $GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit -s

Then you can reload the GLASS1 project in each of your stones at your
leisure. If using tODE:

   project load GLASS1

without tODE the following Smalltalk expression should work:

   Metacello image; baseline: 'GLASS1'; get; load

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/83
[2] https://github.com/glassdb/glass