[Glass] Backup procedure

Bob Tucker via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Jul 28 10:55:19 PDT 2016

We keep a warm recovery DB for our production GS system on a geographically
separate system.  Nightly we restore the recovery DB from the latest prod
backup, then as we switch tranlogs (script via cron) we have scripts that
will package it up, send it over to the restore system, kick off scripts on
that side that will prepare the tranlog and apply it to the warm recovery
system.  Both sides are on AIX and we use rcp to move the files.  You
cannot copy active tranlogs nor extents (we use raw) so requires the backup
written to disk and exporting tranlogs to filesystems to be able to move
them over.  We are on a fairly old version so newer versions may be more
robust.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass <

> Ciao,
>
> some time ago ( 10 marzo 2016  ) Dale wrote :
>
> Regarding risk of losing data on system restart ... you should already be
> keeping copies of your backup files and tranlogs on a separate system, so
> that if you lose a disk, you have fairly recent copies of both ... if you
> are concerned about losing as little data as possible, you might think
> about copy tranlogs to a separate machine several times a day ...
>

> OK, i working in this direction.
>
> I have some doubts:
>
> A)  I need a external script  for create the new tranlog  every hour with
> the  System class >> startNewLog.
> In general i have some methods to perform at regular time and data but i
> don't understand if i can schedule it directly into the gemstone,
>
> or if i need external scripts call by Crontab?
>
> B) On LAN i have a Windows system for perform ftp copy from the Gemstone
> server to the backup system.
> ( i use the Cobian program )
>
> Now i think to setup the incremental  ftp copy of the  /tranlogs  server
> directory.
>
> But how does the ftp command by copying the online tranlog ?
>
> Can create problematic on the server?
>
> C) Link to my last email :   [Glass] Integrity of the system
>
> I read about Warm and Hot Standbys
>
> Is not possible have the " online copy " of the current  tranlog on the
> backup system ?
>
> Where for online copy i think the copy at the last transaction ( update at
> the last minute?! ) on the server.
>
> If this would be possible, when the server crash, on the backup system i
> found the tranlog update to the latest transactions.
>  Is not bad?
>
> Am I asking too much?
>
> Thanks for any considerations,
>
> Dario

-B-

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of 'em are
stupider than that"
- George Carlin