[Glass] Cannot backup anymore while Seaside gems are running

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Feb 6 08:47:45 PST 2017

Mariano,

The `Please wait...` message is displayed, because voting is ongoing, or
another process is holding onto the gc lock (see
TDGemStoneTool>>systemIsVoting):

   systemIsVoting
     | vs sessId |
     vs := System voteState.
     sessId := System sessionIdHoldingGcLock.
     ^ sessId ~= 0 or: [ vs > 0 and: [ vs < 4 ] ]

It would probably help the see what the voteState is and which session
is holding the GcLock. You could pass those results along as soon as you
get them.

The next step will be to supply us with some statmon files and your log
files that cover a failed backup.

Dale

PS: if you look at the man page for the backup command (`man bu
backup`), you'll see a line near the bottom that looks like this:

   browse method --spec `TDGemStoneTool>>bubackup`

All man pages should have a line like this (not all have this yet:) that
will take you directly to the method that implements the command .. then
you can set a breakpoint in the that method for debugging/understanding
what's going on in a command ... I know that in this case it wouldn't
necessarily solve the problem, but I did figure it was worth pointing
out for future reference ...