[Glass] Does Zodiac port work on 3.2.x ?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 2 20:52:49 PST 2017

On 1/2/17 12:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Does your Zodiac port work on GemStone  3.2.x? I see little info in
> https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac.
If you look at the baseline[1], it looks like Zodiac was only ported to
GemStone 3.3.0 and beyond ... Looking at Issue #2, I see there were some
bugs in the GemStone base, that were fixed in 3.3.0 - I left the bug
open as some level of documentation as to the state of the port.

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/blob/gs_master/repository/BaselineOfZodiac.package/BaselineOfZodiac.class/instance/baseline..st
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/issues/2

> Anyway, I am trying myself to see if it works and it took me some time
> to realize i should be using `gs_master` rather than `master`. A
> little explanation on the README would be nice:
>

> Metacello new
> baseline: 'Zodiac';
> repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zodiac:master/repository';
> load.
>
> While loading, I also had this popup with dependencies problems.
Ah okay that should be changed ...

When you go to the github page, you come up in the gs_master branch and
in 3.3.0 Zodiac is loaded into the GemStone 3.3.0 by default ...

The Baseline is the definitive source for which versions of GemStone are
supported and the .travis.yml indicates which versions of GemStone the
code is being tested against, but I guess I neglected to update the
ReadMe ... sorry about that ...

[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zodiac/blob/gs_master/.travis.yml

> Even worst, I realized that what I wanted to use
> (*ZdcSecureSMTPClient*) is not there as it is a subclass of SMTPClient
> which is not in GemStone.
>
> So...let me ask..assuming Zodiac should work in 3.2.x is there a way
> to send SMTP with SSL/TSL from inside GemStone (no tunneling)?

Zodiac does not work in 3.2.x and it doesn't look like
ZdcSecureSMTPClient is installed in the image. The tests were
passing[4], so that means there must not be any tests for the
ZdcSecureSMTPClient class -- when I do a port all I have to go on is the
test results and if tests are missing there is no way for me to know
whether the classes are functional or not ...

Sven has a later commit to the github repo[5], but it doesn't look like
there are any additional tests ... for the extras ... I assume that
ZdcSecureSMTPClient could be ported and tests could be written - I guess
one would need an ssl-based smtp server to test against and I assume
that there aren't any of those readily available, so perhaps that's why
there are no tests ...

I did the original work about a year ago[7] and I've just assumed that
either either no one was using Zodiac or the port to 3.3.0 was
sufficient ... I'd have to do a bit of research to find out if it is
feasible to back-port the base level changes for SSL or not ... The last
commit comment in Issue #2 - "Zodiac runs in GemStone 3.3 and beyond (no
need for 3.2.x patches)" makes me wonder whether Zodiac can be ported to
3.2.x or not ...

Dale

[4] [https://travis-ci.org/GsDevKit/zodiac/jobs/131281204
[5]