[Glass] RPS gems and logging

Iwan Vosloo via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sat Nov 4 23:50:01 PDT 2017

Hi there,

I have a question regarding logging in the scenario where you have an
RPC gem which is started by netldi on a node where the target stone
resides. Assume also possibly more than one different stone running here.

I'd like to control where the RPC gem would log. Now, AFAIK, you can do
this from the connecting client's side by changing the NRS, but I don't
want clients to have to know this. So the other way to do this is by
setting GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL=#dir:/some/where but the problem with this is
that GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL applies to all stones started by the single netldi
in whose environment you set the variable.

I want to log everything to do with a specific stone (including the gems
started for it) in one place.

The docs say: "If you set GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL before starting a Stone, an
application, or a utility (such as copydbf), that setting applies only
to your own processes and does not affect other users.
"

...so I have tried setting it when running startstone for that
particular stone only (NOT for startnetldi) - yet it seems to be ignored
(which makes sense since the stone is not the thing starting up the gem).

The other way I can think of doing this is to have my own modified
scripts in $GEMSTONE/sys that set GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL based on the stone
you want to connect to, but that feels like reinventing the wheel.

Is there any way to achieve what I want to do without involving the
connecting client's NRS or starting differently named netldi's or
changing the standard sys/ scripts?

Reards
Iwan