[Glass] RPS gems and logging

Iwan Vosloo via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Nov 7 07:08:43 PST 2017

Hi Mariano,

On 07/11/2017 13:47, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Not strictly related, but as I know you are using Seaside etc, I ask: do
> you gems really need to be RPC? Why can't the be linked?

This is actually a bit of a side project which involves using gembuilder
for C. If you use its "thread-safe API", it forces you to go via RPC. (I
guess this is so several different RPC gems can be started, each running
its own single thread on the server.) It is a "developing experiment"
though ;-) and that may have been the wrong choice of API.

> In the past, i have some issues with logs with RPC gems because they
> would "disappear" when the gem is shutdown. With linked gems I don't
> have that problem.

Good to know, thanks.

> I am defining those logs like this:
>
> ## NRS_ALL to define log directory for all processes
> GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL='#dir:$GEMSTONE_LOGDIR#log:%N%P.log'
>
> And I do rune > 1 stone in the same machine and I am not finding the
> issue you comment. I mean, all my logs are self contained per stone
> under $GS_HOME/server/stones/XXX/logs.

Thanks. I have been doing this with a bare-bones gemstone install, not
gsdevkit or the shipped stuff in $GEMSTONE/seaside. AFAIK
$GEMSTONE_LOGDIR is a gsdevkit thing? I will go investigate.

Iwan