[Glass] Problem with `create_gs_server_image` in latest gsDevKit_home

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Nov 21 05:05:53 PST 2017

Hi Dale,

I have just updated to latest GsDevKit release and I am trying to re-build
the devKit images. However, there is a problem. I tracked it down up to
this line:

 ❯ ./create_gs_server_image -f -d
/opt/gemstoneAdditions/GsDevKit_home/shared/pharo gsDevKitCommandLine

The problem is that that script, even if at the very beginning it correctly
sets `initialImageName=Pharo.image` when we are in case
`gsDevKitCommandLine`, but at the end of the switch case, you set
`imageName=${imageBaseName}.image`. Therefore, $imageName  would resolve to
`gsDevKitCommandLine.image`. Obviously, in `$GS_HOME/shared/pharo` I only
have Pharo.image and not gsDevKitCommandLine.image.

Finally, this is the failing code which tries to open an image that doesn't
exist:

if [ "${force}" = "true" ] ; then
  "$pharoCmd" "$directoryPath/$imageName" save gsDevKitTmp
else
  "$pharoCmd" "$directoryPath/$initialImageName" save gsDevKitTmp
fi

BTW the console shows "create" as per $message variable.

Conclusion: if I remove the "-f" argument, it does work, obviously, but
then it means it is not always safe to simply follow the instructions
of `$GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit
-ti` as the `-i` would fail as in my case.

I guess we could check if `$directoryPath/$imageName" ` exists, and if not,
then use $initialImageName even if -f was passed by...

Thoughts?