[Glass] Metacello Preview / tODE Questions

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Feb 28 09:46:08 PST 2018

On 02/27/2018 02:08 PM, Ken Treis via Glass wrote:
> I have an old 3.2.15 repository full of important data, and I managed
> to (mostly) install tODE in it, but now I have lots of (probably
> newbie) questions about tODE and Metacello Preview.
>
> 1. Are ConfigurationOf* classes obsolete? If so, what replaces them?
> Most of the intro docs just talk about baselines, which now live in
> separate classes — and often separate packages — thus apparently
> disconnecting baseline specs from version specs.
ConfigurationOf* are not obsolete. You see the emphasis on BaselineOf,
because I think that git/github is superior to Monticello files for
multi-developer open source projects. When a project is stored in a git
repository it is not necessary to record the versions of the individual
mcz files in the ConfigurationOf* (a very tedious process) so the
"version specs" aren't necessary.

It is still necessary to specify the package and project dependencies so
the BaselineOf was invented to specify only the package/project
dependencies....

tODE has been specifically designed to support a development model based
on git and github and I am in the process of converting all of the
projects used by GLASS/GsDevKit to GitHub and BaselineOf*.

ConfigurationOf* will continue to be supported "forever" however, I want
to encourage folks to move their projects to git, because the ecosystem
around git-based repositories continue to be improved.

> 2. Is it possible to load a specific version of Seaside (in my case,
> 3.0.7.1) using tODE? Everything I'm reading seems to be targeted at

For Seaside 3.0 I think that you can only use ConfigurationOf* ... there
are ways to create tODE project entires for ConfigurationOf*
projects[1], but I think that for ConfigurationOf* development you
should continue to use Metacello load expressions and custom Smalltalk
expressions. I would suggest that you create tODE scripts using `touch
sh <script-name>` for your load scripts and other maintenance tasks. Ask
questions on this list if you need some more pointers.

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/gh-pages/XMLSupport.ston

> 3. I'm able to connect to the old repository on my (headless) server
> with both tODE and GemTools, but I can't seem to `project install`
> Seaside:
>
>     tode 1 > project install
>     --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside3.ston
>     Topez ERROR: a TodeCommandError occurred (error 121000), No such
>     node: '/sys/local/server/projects/'

This error sees to be a case where the stone may not have been setup
correctly ... tODE expect there to be a "standard directory structure in
well known places" and this error seems to indicate that perhaps there
is a problem in this area ... could you give me more details about how
you "managed to (mostly) install tODE" because perhaps you are hitting
errors because of the "(mostly)" bits ...

You can get a stack from a command error using `debugMode --set` (see
`debugMode -h` for more details) and the stack will help me track down
what is wrong ..

> I've got a $GS_HOME/sys/local/server/projects directory, both on the
> client and the server. Which of these is the one that matters, and
> what do I have mis-configured such that tODE can't find it? I tried
> both the `--local` and `--stone` arguments to no avail.
These are all things that work when stones are created using the
GsDevKit_home `createStone` command, so I am wondering where you might
have departed from the standard installation ... "managed to (mostly)
install tODE"  makes me wonder ...

Dale